Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I hope I get used to this at some point...

I upgraded to Sibelius 6, and I love it.  But there are no tutorials or classes on using it in my area, so I'm pretty much finding my own way.  My colleague, Joseph, has been very gracious in sharing some of his expertise.  I chose Sibelius because it is extremely user-friendly and does so many things automatically.  That is both a blessing and a curse, as I have found out by trying to get my scores to look right.  The automatic adjustments to score sizes and spacing can really make the pages look unpleasant, so you have to work on it.  Anyway, I got it all working, so my clarinet quartets and choirs look good.

I have five scores up on Score Exchange.  So now, I'll be working to finish the orchestral version of Jabberwocky and my clarinet/violin/piano Romance.  That's the title thus far.  I don't like it--it's too generic.

On the teaching front, my studio at TU doubled this year.  To accommodate all the students and the schedules of the other three professors with whom I share a studio, I have to be there Monday and Tuesday mornings and Fridays all day.  I do get a two hour break in the afternoon while the students are in band, but I can get work done or practice.  The Lorton Performing Arts Center is so lovely that it is a joy to be there.  Work places abound, so if I don't want to stay in my windowless studio, I can go elsewhere.  But the studio is nice.  It's just sometimes, you need a view of real trees and sky for inspiration.



No comments:

Post a Comment