Sunday, August 14, 2011

Only four measures left, but...

I'm orchestrating Jabberwocky, and I am four measures away from having it transcribed from the original ensemble.  Problem is, my brain has conjured up a little more to put in the final part of the work.  Being new to composing, I am completely enamored with how different instruments sound together.  I love having such a large palette to play with!  More instruments means more fun!

Not to say that it isn't fun to write small stuff.  It is.  It's just a new experience for me.

And, through all this, I have realized that I need to seriously upgrade my laptop and also purchase an external sound card.  Neither is cheap, but both are necessary if I am to keep composing using my computer.  I like to be able to hear what I am writing.  Technology--it's a blessing and a curse, right?  Wow--and to think, Mozart and Beethoven had nothing like Sibelius.  They had to trust completely in themselves and their abilities to write because that is all they had.

We are so spoiled.

Music is much more complicated rhythmically, tonally, and even instrumentally.  Composers are constantly pushing the envelope, and being to hear what you are creating is a true blessing.



No comments:

Post a Comment